Elementary School

Frequently Asked Questions

How early may I drop my child off at school?

Please drop your child off at school between 8:20 a.m. and 8:40 a.m. Supervision starts at 8:20 a.m. We have a Discovery Club that offers a wonderful program before and after school for your convenience.

Back to Top

Can my child stay on campus to wait for me after school?

For the safety of your child, please pick him/her up on time after school, unless he/she is involved in a supervised, school-sponsored activity. For specific drop-off and pick-up instructions, please see our Parent Student Handbook which is linked above under the Parents tab.

Back to Top

What day is early release day, and what time does school get out?

Every Monday is early release day. On most Mondays, we dismiss the students at 2:10 p.m. The following early personalized learning PD Monday's dismissal will be at 12:15 p.m.:

  • August 17
  • September 21
  • October 19
  • November 16
  • January 25
  • March 21
  • May 16
Back to Top

Do you allow visitors on the school campus?

Yes, but we ask that you please pick up a pass at the office during the school day before you go to your child's classroom. For our students' safety, our teachers will not admit guests or release students unless visitors display their pass. We will issue a special pass to parents who pick up their children on a daily basis. Students may not bring other students who do not attend Palmcroft to visit our school.

Back to Top

May I volunteer in my child's classroom?

Absolutely. We love it when our parents join us at school and help out in the classroom. Please ask your child's teacher for the district form that you MUST fill out prior to your volunteering in the classroom.

Back to Top

Is it alright for my child to ride his/her bike to school?

Only third, fourth, and fifth graders may ride their bikes to school. Students must lock their bikes in the bike racks and keep them there during the entire school day. Students must walk their bikes on the school grounds. The school cannot be responsible for damaged, lost, or stolen bicycles.

Back to Top

Does Palmcroft School provide bus service for students?

Yes, our students do have the privilege of riding a school bus to and from school. We have some basic rules that we expect everybody to obey:

  • Students riding the bus MUST go home on the bus unless the parent comes for the student and checks him/her out or sends written permission that they wish the child to go elsewhere.
  • Please give the office at least 30 minutes notice if you plan to pick up your child rather than have him/her ride the bus.
  • Bus students are under the authority of the bus driver.
  • We expect our students to behave on the bus and follow the same rules they have at school.
  • We will deny bus riding privileges to students who do not follow the bus drivers' rules.
Back to Top

Is it alright for my child to take a cell phone to school?

Students should not bring cell phones, toys, large sums of money, or other valuables to school. The school cannot be responsible for lost or stolen items. We do not allow students to have electronic devices at school that may distract or cause an interruption to the school environment. This includes, but is not limited to, cell phones and Game Boys.

Back to Top

Is there a Lost and Found at school?

Yes. You or your child can check for lost belongings in the Lost and Found box outside of the office. To keep lost items to a minimum, we recommend that you print your child's name in coats, jackets, backpacks, lunch boxes, etc.

Back to Top

Does Palmcroft School have a dress code?

Yes, Palmcroft has a specific dress code. You can find the specific information and examples on the home page linked to the paw labeled School Uniform Policy.

Tops include:

  • Polo shirt - This is a collared shirt in royal blue, yellow, or white
  • Palmcroft Spirit T-Shirt - This is our school approved t-shirt with Panther logo.
Bottoms include:
  • shorts, capris, pants, or skirt in black, khaki, or denim.
Back to Top

What should I do if my child will be absent from school?

Please telephone the school at 502-8000 or send a note the next day explaining the reason for your child?s absence.

Back to Top

What should I do if my child will be absent for an extended period of time?

When your child has been absent from school for at least two days, you may call the school office in the morning so that we can notify the teacher on time for him/her to gather your child's work by the end of the day. We will also send home the necessary books. You can pick up your child's assignments in the office at the end of the school day, or we can send them home with another child, if you'd like.

Back to Top

What do I need to do if my child is living in an area outside of Palmcroft?s attendance area but wants to attend Palmcroft School next year?

Students must return an application by February for continued attendance if they are living in another attendance area. We will accept out of attendance area students only with these conditions:

  • The school or classroom is not over capacity.
  • Transportation is not a concern. Students do not arrive early or stay late and expect the school to provide supervision.
  • Attendance is good. There are not frequent absences or a pattern of absences and/or tardies.
  • Discipline is not a concern.
Back to Top

How often can I expect to have a parent/teacher conference or receive a report card?

After the first nine weeks of school we require a parent to attend the first parent/teacher conference. Your child?s teacher will contact you to arrange for a conference. Our goal is 100% participation by parent/guardian and teacher at the end of the first nine weeks. After the first grading period, either the parent or the teacher can request a conference. We will schedule several early dismissal days to accommodate parent/teacher conferences in October and March. We will send home report cards after the second nine-week period in January and again after the fourth nine-week period in May.

Back to Top

Is there a school health aide in case my child gets sick or needs to receive medication?

A health aide is on duty during the school day. The health aide handles emergency situations and illnesses that occur during the school day. Additionally, the health aide provides educational, preventive, and consultation services. A student must have permission from the health aide before leaving school because of illness.

If your child requires medication during the school day, please use the following guidelines:

  • You must send in a written order from the physician (licensed in the United States) stating the name of the medicine, the dosage, and the time it is to be given.
  • You must send in written permission from the parent to allow the school or the student to administer the medicine. The appropriate forms are available from the school office.
  • You must bring the medicine to the school office in the prescription container or, if it is over-the counter medication, in the original container with all warnings and directions intact.
  • The school health aide will document each time she, or the student, administers the medication, making a record of the student having received the medication.
  • The health aide will keep all medicines in their original containers in a locked medicine cabinet.
Back to Top

What meals does the cafeteria serve, and what is the cost?

Elementary Pricing Schools: Alice Byrne, Palmcroft, Rolle, Otondo, Desert Mesa, and Sunrise

We know that breakfast is the most important part of the day. That is why at Yuma School District One, we offer breakfast at no cost. We serve breakfast from 8:10 a.m. to 8:40 a.m. Please join us. If a parent or child would like to join a student and purchase breakfast, the cost is $2.00. Lunch is available to all students for $1.50 every day. If a parent or guest would like to join their student for lunch, the cost is $3.00.

You may fill out a free and reduced lunch application at any time during the school year if you think your child may qualify. If you would like to manage your meal account online or make an online payment you may go to the district Child Nutrition page. See the cafeteria manager for more details. We look forward to serving you. 

If your student brings a sack lunch from home, they may still purchase a juice or milk for 25 cents to go with their meal. Due to USDA guidelines, milk or juice is 25 cents, regardless if your student qualifies for free and reduced priced meals.

Back to Top

Does Palmcroft have a library where my child can check out books?

Yes. We believe that having the opportunity to visit and use the Palmcroft Library Media Center is an important part of our school program. We have filled it with many wonderful books and magazines especially for young children. With your permission, your child will be able to bring home the books he/she selects during library visits to share and enjoy with you. We ask that you help your child remember the library skills we have taught him/her by helping him/her to take good care of the books that are brought home and return them on time. We will not allow students with any overdue books to check out additional books.

Back to Top